[ZODB-Dev] Re: ZODB with a Relational Database

Dennis Allison allison at shasta.stanford.edu
Tue Jan 3 11:09:13 EST 2006

José--

You can use MySQL and Zope without a running ZEO.  The relational
database and the object-oriented database are independent.  Zope
can be configured to manage the ZODB directly or via ZEO.

You can also use the relational database as the store for the
object-oriented database, replacing Data.fs.  There has been some
discussion of this on the web and in the archives, but I have no
experience with this approach.  I'm guessing that much of the discussion
has been "proof of concept" and a relational store has not seen much
use in production.  I am interested in the performance trade-offs, but
have not had time to experiment; Florent's ORM mappers sounds very
interesting.

Which version of Python and which version of Zope are you using?  If you
are having problems with a 2GB or greater Data.fs, check to be sure that
your Python has been configured with large file support.  Remember that
the Python Zope uses may be different from that used elsewhere in the
system.