[ZODB-Dev] ZODB and Zope on one Linux machine, how?

Rene Pijlman rene at lab.applinet.nl
Wed Jan 25 04:49:00 EST 2006

I have a productional Linux web server with a Python/Zope/Plone.
Now I'd like to install a non-Zope Python/ZODB application on
the same server. What is the recommended way of doing that?

Option 1:
Install ZODB in the Python installation in the usual way. Should
I expect problems when I install and run zope with that Python
installation?

Option 2:
Do not install ZODB in the Python installation. Install Zope in
the usual way. Add Zope's ZODB modules to the application's
PYTHONPATH. But this may cause upgrade/compatibility problems
with the application when Zope and the ZODB in it are upgraded.

Option 3:
Use separate Python installations for Zope and the application.
Install ZODB in the application's Python installation, not in
Zope's.

Option 4:
?

I'm using:
- Python 2.3.5
- ZODB 3.2.10 (same as in Zope 2.7.8)
- Zope 2.7.8
- Plone 2.1.1
... all built from source on Debian Woody.

I apologize for putting this noise on the dev-list, but
comp.lang.python didn't answer and I didn't know where else to
ask. Thank you very much in advance.

--
Rene Pijlman
http://www.applinet.nl/