[ZODB-Dev] Re: What makes the ZODB slow?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Sun Jul 2 12:46:19 EDT 2006

Dieter Maurer wrote:

>       If for example 10 Zope objects are modified and
>       this cause the full text indexes to be updated
>       then this can cause more modifications than
>       the update of hundreds of Postgres rows
>       (as such rows cannot contain mass data -- due to the restriction
>       to simple types).

Yes, indexing seems to be the big problem here...
I wonder if there's a way to move indexing out of "the zodb".
The main things I get from ZODB are simplicity of data storage (ie: just
playing with python objects) and robustness of data.

For the first point, indexing is never simple ;-)
For the second, if indexes become corrupt, they can be rebuilt.

I wonder if there's something to be said for having a generic object
indexing service that didn't use ZODB but used its own local indexes and
re-indexed as needed or if the indexes are corrupt?

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk