[ZODB-Dev] Advice needed

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Fri Jun 23 10:16:45 EDT 2006

--On 23. Juni 2006 16:05:49 +0200 Adam Groszer <adamg at fw.hu> wrote:

> AJ> We run a CMS with several ZEO storages using FileStorage with up 300k
> AJ> different objects per storage.
>
> May you mention some or some sites on the internet that run Zope/ZODB
> to have some examples?

Since ZODB is the default storage of Zope, every Zope site on the net *uses*
the ZODB.

>>> maybe PGStorage?
>>> - ACID properties. Is it really ACID, I mean data consistency level
>>> could be compared to a RDB?
>
> AJ> What do you mean? The ZODB is transactional and other systems (RBDMS)
> can AJ> be hooked with the transaction system of Zope...this is daily
> practice.
>
> My problem is that I'm quite confident that ZODB may be able to handle
> the application, but I have to convince some other people too. They are
> coming with a strong RDB background. I would appreciate some facts to
> hit them hard.

Both RDBMS and ZODB have their pros and cons. It really depends on your
individual usecase..also hybrid solutions using ZODB and a RDBMS are daily
practice. If your data is highly relational then go for a RDBMS solution on
top of Zope, if you data is more hierarchical or loosely coupled, think
about the ZODB. The ZODB is not a good choice for storing and serving large
amounts of binary data (files).....you must make the decision on a per-case
basis...

-aj