[ZODB-Dev] [Enhancement Proposal] Memory size limited Cache

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Oct 5 08:46:27 EDT 2006

Dieter Maurer wrote:
> A new proposal:
>
>   http://www.zope.org/Wikis/ZODB/MemorySizeLimitedCache
>
> It outlines how to implement a ZODB cache limited not be the
> number of containing objects but by their estimated memory size.
>
> Feedback welcome -- either here or in the Wiki.

I'm going to reply here because I think discussion is easier here, at
least in the short term.

First, I like the gist of the proposal. I think the proposal
should be split into 2 proposals:

1. Refactor (persistence and) cache management to reduce coupling
    between persistence, database, and cache frameworks.

    This needs more thought and specification.  I'm gonna spend
    some time today on a proposal that is mostly complementary to
    yours.

    I'll note that, as a guiding principle, any refactoring we do
    should allow pure-python implementation. This means that APIs
    need to be Python APIs, although we should consider efficient
    C implementations when designing these APIs.

2. Provide object size information to the cache for use in it's
    functioning.

I wouldn't do much to this proposal until you've had a chance to read
mine. :)

Jim