[ZODB-Dev] We need to pay down debt

Dmitry Vasiliev lists at hlabs.spb.ru
Thu Oct 5 09:57:15 EDT 2006

Jim Fulton wrote:
> When I originally developed the ZODB, I created a UML model:
>
>   http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Developer/Models/ZODB
>
> This provided a fairly thorough and clear documentation of
> the ZODB architecture at the time.  It still contains useful information.
> Unfortunately, the UML model became corrupted by the tool I was using
> and could not be updated. Given advances in our own technologies
> since then, I don't think I would use UML today, except perhaps
> as a tool for making pictures. (Diagrams can be very useful and
> their benefits should not be underestimated.)

What do you think about to use an API documentation tool, epydoc
(http://epydoc.sourceforge.net/) for example? Unfortunately I haven't used it
myself yet, but the examples looks promising (for example:
http://epydoc.sourceforge.net/api/epydoc.apidoc.VariableDoc-class.html).

> Thoughts? Is anyone willing to help out?  Anybody interested in a
> ZODB Doc Day?

I'll ready to help with the docs. I guess we'll can made some minor API/code
cleanup at the same time. But I think "ZODB Doc Days" is unnecessary.

--
Dmitry Vasiliev (dima at hlabs.spb.ru)
     http://hlabs.spb.ru