[ZODB-Dev] [Enhancement Proposal] Memory size limited Cache

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Oct 6 06:15:24 EDT 2006

Dieter Maurer wrote:
> The pickle size is a *VERY* rough estimation (probably wrong
> by a factor of 5 to 15)

But, as you point out, much better than a hard coded "1" ;-)

> We probably would get a much better estimation using
> "PySizer" but probably at a significantly higher cost.

Right, I guess it'd be finding out whether the improved accuracy
outweighs the higher cost. I'm guess it doesn't and we should stick with
your suggestion.

> cache is used regularly). When it does, it knows the pickle size
> (see above).

Cool, I didn't know that, but of course it makes sense, unless you have
a storage that doesn't use pickles...

How would you cater for that?

cheers,

Chris