[ZODB-Dev] Decouple persistence, database, and cache

Dmitry Vasiliev lists at hlabs.spb.ru
Sat Oct 7 09:02:11 EDT 2006

Jim Fulton wrote:
> I've created a proposal:
>
>   http://www.zope.org/Wikis/ZODB/DecouplePersistenceDatabaseAndCache
>
> for simplifying and decoupling the persistence and cache architectures.
> I've been thinking about this for quite some time.  In fact, the ability
> to subclass
> weakref.ref objects that appeared in Python 2.4 anticipates this. :)

I like the proposal but I don't understand some details:

  - Why do you want to use '__setitem__' method instead of for example
'notify'? Is it only for "make this go fast"?
  - Why are such values selected for the state constants (persistent.GhostState
= None, persistent.ChangedState = True, persistent.SavedState = False,
persistent.ReadState = False)?

--
Dmitry Vasiliev (dima at hlabs.spb.ru)
     http://hlabs.spb.ru