[ZODB-Dev] ZEO client cache tempfile oddness

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Fri Apr 6 13:30:33 EDT 2007

On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 01:03:10PM -0400, Benji York wrote:
> Paul Winkler wrote:
> >Our experiments suggest that ext2, ext3,
> >and reiserfs optimize for sparse files so there is no such guarantee.
> >AFAICT from some quick googling and wikipediaing, the same is true for
> >NTFS, XFS, JFS, ZFS. I suspect we've accounted for the majority of the
> >production Zope installations in the world.
>
> In that case it would seem better to just remove the ineffectual code
> altogether.

Well, maybe. "some quick googling and wikipediaing" should be taken
only for what it is :)

If I understand this stuff correctly, the code in question on a
filesystem that *doesn't* have the sparse file optimization would
equate to "write N null bytes to this file as fast as possible."
True?

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com