[ZODB-Dev] Re: another reason to stop supporting versions

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Apr 25 09:28:09 EDT 2007

On Apr 24, 2007, at 9:50 PM, Gary Poster wrote:

> I assume you are more interested in seeing if you can get someone
> to raise a compelling -1 than in hearing a chorus of +1s.  But
> FWIW, +1 in getting rid of versions.  It sounds like it would
> simplify the code significantly, which would be its own "feature".

Yup.

A typical comment I came across yesterday in a comment for loadEx in
ServerStub.py:

     # Return current data for oid in version, the tid of the
transaction that
     # wrote the most recent revision, and the name of the version
for the
     # data returned.  Versions make this hard to understand; in
particular,
     # the version string returned may not equal the version string
passed
     # in, and that's "a feature" I don't understand.  Similarly, the
tid
     # returned is the tid of the most recent revision of oid, and
that may
     # not equal the tid of the transaction that wrote the data
returned.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org