[ZODB-Dev] Removing version support

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Apr 25 14:12:42 EDT 2007

On Apr 25, 2007, at 1:53 PM, Rodrigo Senra wrote:

> [ Jim Fulton ]:
>
> |- We need to first remove the APIs that allow versions to be
> |created.
> |- We need to have plans for dealing with databases that contain
> |version data.  For example, database iterators need to skip over
> |version data, or we need database conversion tools that remove
> |version data.
>
> Supposing that the number of databases that actually *use* versions
> is smaller than the ones that have stayed away from them...
> couldn't we just remove versions from the API by default. And,
> check for vestiges of versions data in databses files. If vestiges
> were found then the API's would be monkey patched to give some bare
> minimum version support. If vestiges are *not found*, then these
> fortunate souls would be running a version-clean (ZODB) version from
> day one.
>
> Nevertheless, I do not know if this suggestion makes any sense,
> (I never have touched ZODB versions) and if it does,
> how much work would it imply.

There are undoubtedly databases somewhere that have version data.
They would be pretty rare.

I don't know what you mean by "the API's would be monkey patched".
What would monkey patch them?  Would there be some optional package
that people would install that would do this monkey patching?  It
sounds like we would have to provide an analysis tool, a monkey-
patching tool and some pretty complicated documentation.  This feels
like a lot more work than other options.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org