[ZODB-Dev] Re: Understanding conflicts

Jim Carroll jimpy at oublic.org
Sun Aug 12 12:45:08 EDT 2007

Dieter Maurer <dieter <at> handshake.de> writes:

> Jim Carroll wrote at 2007-6-12 15:57 +0000:
> >The code that's running essentially does:
> >
> >   add message to Persistent list in object
> >   get_transaction().commit()
> >   send_email()
> >
> >We are using Zodb 3.3a3, and ZEO 2.3a3.
> >
> >I've read that when a transaction retries, it re-runs
code on the server side.

> The ZODB by itself does not rerun anything.
> Zope (its ZPublisher) retries a request up to three times when it
> fails due to a "ConflictError".

I'm not using Zope.  I've got a quixote application that's
using ZODB and ZEO.

Somehow, the code that adds the message to the persistent
list is running more than once.  I have read that ZEO will
re-run python code on a retry, and I think this is what's
causing the duplicated data.

In my mind, what I need is some sort of assurance that the
Persistent List is only being appened to once.  For some
reason the commit() is causing it to be appended more than
once when there's a conflict error.

How can I isolate my transactions so that a conflict aborts
the current transaction before re-trying?

Thanks,
-Jim