[ZODB-Dev] minimizing the need for database packing

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Dec 28 10:20:57 EST 2007

On Dec 28, 2007, at 5:26 AM, Flavio Coelho wrote:

> Hi, is there any way to minimize the need for database packing? I
> wouldn't mind loosing the ability of undoing transactions.

There's a significant performance benefit to keeping some non-current
data to support multi-version concurrency control.

There Berkely Database Storage supported automatic incremental packing
without garbage collection.  If someone were to revitalize that effort
and if one was willing to do without cyclic garbage collection, then
that storage would remove the need for the sort of disruptive pack we
have with FileStorage now.

Note that I'm working on a new FileStorage packer that is 2-3 times
faster and, I believe, much less disruptive than the current packing
algorithm.  It also provides an option to skip garbage collection,
making it twice again as fast.

It is available now as a separate monkey-patch in the zc.FileStorage
package.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton