[ZODB-Dev] Making use of the zodb transaction framework outside of zodb?

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Wed Feb 14 17:10:57 EST 2007

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 14.02.2007, 23:05 +0100 schrieb Dieter Maurer:
> Petra Chong wrote at 2007-2-13 18:27 -0000:
> >In the docs I have read that it is possible for non-zodb apps to plug
> >into the transaction framework. However, I am unable to find any
> >specifics as to how to do this.
> >
> >What I'd like to do is this:
> >
> >1. Have my app import transaction
> >2. When transaction.commit() is called from my app, have other things be
> >notified by that.
>
> Ages ago, I found a documentation about the ZODB that details
> its transaction handling. I have remembered the essential facts
> but forgot where I have found the documentation.
> With your favorite search engine, you might be able to find it....
>
> Alternatively, you can look at the source code for
> "transaction._transaction.Transaction.commit" or
> use Zope's "shared.DC.ZRDB.TM.TM" (the "TM" stands for
> "Transaction Manager").

Which reminds me of a nice exercise that I discovered with a colleage:
ZODB currently supports two (old/new) styles of the two-phase-commit for
backwards-compatibility.

The whole code is much harder to understand because of the support of
the two versions of the TPC protocol.

Just FYI and maybe someone thinks it might be a good idea to clean up
too. My current todo list is way too long, but I'd put it in the
collector if it's a worthwhile thing.

Christian