[ZODB-Dev] What's the deal with _p_independent?

Stefan H. Holek stefan at epy.co.at
Sat Jul 7 06:42:34 EDT 2007

BTrees.Length is used in many places to maintain the length of
BTrees. Just the other day it was added to zope.app.container.btree.
While I am happy about the speed improvements, I am concerned about
the fact that BTrees.Length declares itself _p_independent. I'd like
some clarification about what happens in a conflict resolution
situation, when the Length is _p_independent but the BTree itself is
not. I *think* that with MVCC this means a read-conflict will reset
the BTree, but not it's Length.

All I could google up is this from 2004: http://mail.zope.org/
pipermail/zodb-dev/2004-April/007269.html

Now, do we need another Length class or is BTrees.Length just fine
and dandy?

Thanks,
Stefan

--
Anything that happens, happens.  --Douglas Adams