[ZODB-Dev] ZoDB dependent on zope.interface

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Jul 12 06:42:13 EDT 2007

On Jul 12, 2007, at 4:02 AM, Torgil Svensson wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm using ZoDB standalone without Zope. Using the latest released ZoDB
> on Python2.5 for win32 ( ZODB3-3.8.0b2.win32-py2.5.exe ) gives me the
> following traceback when importing ZODB:
>
>    import ZODB
>  File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\ZODB\__init__.py", line 31, in
> <module>
>    from DB import DB
>  File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\ZODB\DB.py", line 27, in <module>
>    from ZODB.Connection import Connection
>  File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\ZODB\Connection.py", line 30,
> in <module>
>    from persistent.interfaces import IPersistentDataManager
>  File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\persistent\interfaces.py", line
> 19, in <module>
>    from zope.interface import Interface
> ImportError: No module named zope.interface
>

> Is it intended for ZoDB to not be stand-alone in the future?

Yes, and in the present.

> Which version of zope is required to satisfy the dependency?

zope.interface as well as the other ZODB dependencies are distributed
separately.  You don't need Zope.
I guess I need to make the dependencies easier to discover.  They are
listed in the readme file, but I suppose that isn't something one is
likely to read when using a windows installer.  I should at least
make this much clearer on the PyPI page.

The easiest way to install ZODB (and most other packages) is with
easy_install (or other setuptools-based tools), as this will
automatically download dependencies.  In fact, I'm tempted to stop
making windows installers and make the ZODB3 egg the only binary
release.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org