[ZODB-Dev] speeding up zdctl/zdrun start

Daniel Drake ddrake at brontes3d.com
Wed Jun 13 10:49:43 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 17:51 -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
> Wouldn't it be a lot simpler to simply sleep less?  It sounds like
> sleeping .1 would speed it up by a factor of 10. :)

Yes, that's true. I was worried that this would result in a '.' being
printed to the screen 10 times a second in some failure cases: during
our migration to zdctl, if we had some databases started otherwise then
when starting them with zdctl it resulted in '.' being printed to the
screen once per second indefinitely. This would be far more painful if
the screen was being literally flooded with them...

But, I see that the latest zdaemon only tries for 10 seconds and then
gives up anyway, which would avoid this problem. So you could either
change the sleep to 0.1s and increase the "n > 10" check to "n > 100",
or you might consider something like the attached patch (applies against
zdaemon-2.0a6)

Thanks!
--
Daniel Drake