[ZODB-Dev] Re: ZODB 3.8.0b1 is released

Christian Zagrodnick cz at gocept.com
Fri Jun 22 04:47:37 EDT 2007

Hi Jim

On 2007-06-11 21:39:03 +0200, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> said:

> The ZODB 3.8.0b1 release is available at:
>
>    http://www.python.org/pypi/ZODB3/3.8.0b1
>
> The major changes since 3.8.0a1 are in Blobs.  Blobs have been re-
> factored a fair bit.
>
> Some backward incompatible changes include:
>
> - The Blob class is now imported from ZODB.blob.
>
> - The Blob openDetached method has bee replaced by the committed
> method.  It is now possible to get a blob file name that can be  handed
> to external programs for reading.
>
> - Text-mode blobs are no-longer supported.  All blobs are implicitly
> in binary mode.  There is no need to specify this in the blob open
> method.  The valid modes, 'r', 'w', 'a', and 'r+' are all implicitly
> binary.
>
> - Calling consumeFile with an open file is no-longer supported.
>
> I've also made a 3.8 release branch.  Any bug fixes should be applied
> to the branch, the trunk and earlier branches as appropriate.  Work
> toward 3.9 can proceed on the trunk.

I started playing with blobs a little bit. And yes, they're working great.

But I have a few things to note:

In combination with ZEO there seem to be various ways to miss-configure
the blob storage in a way where it *seems* to work. But at a point
you'll get strange errors an wonder. In my case I shared the blob
storage with the zeo client w/o telling the zeo client that it actually
was shared.

I think this should just break, i.e. prevent the ZEO client from making
a connection. This could be achieved my some marker files in the blob
directory which would be created on initialization. For instance:
blobs/.blob-storage or blobs/.blob-cache

This way a client would know that a directory containing the
.blob-storage must be set up in shared mode.

--
Christian Zagrodnick

gocept gmbh & co. kg  ·  forsterstrasse 29 · 06112 halle/saale
www.gocept.com · fon. +49 345 12298894 · fax. +49 345 12298891