[ZODB-Dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] Re: Community opinion about search+filter

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 05:59:25 EDT 2007

On 3/26/07, Dieter Maurer <dieter at handshake.de> wrote:
> When "IncrementalSearch" does it, it works roughly as Jim described it
> under 1 above (although there is no need that it works the the "primary
> key" directly).

Right.

> Unless the indexes are able to return sorted (partial results), we
> need to determine the results first and then sort them. And that
> takes time at least linear in the number of hits (to determine the sort
> values for the documents).

OK, at least this avoids the big intermediate results when searching
over several indexes. But you still have to get all of the results,
and sort them before you can return the X first. I have the impression
that Lucene somehow solves this with their sorting indexes, but I'm
not sure, and I haven't tried to understand the code.

http://www.colliberty.com/
+33 661 58 14 64