[ZODB-Dev] Re: ZODB Benchmarks

Matt Hamilton matth at netsight.co.uk
Thu Nov 1 16:25:57 EDT 2007

David Binger <dbinger <at> mems-exchange.org> writes:

> On Nov 1, 2007, at 7:05 AM, Matt Hamilton wrote:
>
> > Ie we perhaps look at a catalog data structure
> > in which writes are initially done to some kind of queue then moved
> > to the
> > BTrees at a later point.
>
> A suggestion: use a pair of BTrees, one with a high branching factor
> (bucket size)
> and one with a very low branching factor.  Force all writes into the
> tree with little
> buckets.  Make every search look in both trees.  Consolidate
> occasionally.

An interesting idea.  Surely we need the opposite though, and that is an
additional BTree with a very large bucket size, as we want to minimize the
chance of a bucket split when inserting?  Then we occasionally consolidate and
move the items in the original BTree with the regular bucket size/branch factor.

-Matt