AW: [ZODB-Dev] diploma thesis: ZODB Indexing

Tino Wildenhain tino at wildenhain.de
Wed Sep 5 14:57:13 EDT 2007

Christian Theune schrieb:
> Am Mittwoch, den 05.09.2007, 09:24 -0400 schrieb Jim Fulton:
>> I'd like to see a generic framework for defining collections and
>> indexes in Python and querying them efficiently.  No ZODB expertise
>> should be needed,
>
> I have the feeling you already pondered this a bit and have some more
> specific ideas ... :)
>
> I also have the feeling that our goal for ad-hoc querying would be
> incompatible with your envisioned framework for defining collections and

My impression is many people have thought about this problem.
Now someone stood up and starts actual working, this is good :-)

I think ad-hoc queries are not per se incompatible, they would
just act like sequential scan in relational databases - therefore
work but not too efficient. Maybe the api can generate a warning
if desired so the application developer can add indexing.

Consequently thinking about the whole scope, sometime at the
end we will even need further abstraction regarding authorization
and access to objects and attributes. This would dramatically
change the way zope works with ZODB but open a lot more uses
of ZODB independently of the Zope world.

Just my 1e-21 cents :-)

Tino