[ZODB-Dev] Getting started with ZODB

Manuzhai manuzhai at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 06:46:28 EDT 2007

Hello there,

For an application I'm working on (implemented mostly in Python), I
was looking for a good solution for our storage needs. First I was
thinking about some tuple- or triple-store, but upon further
reflection I decided yesterday that an object database would probably
work much better. One of the first that came to mind was ZODB (the
other I could think of was Durus, but it doesn't seem as interesting).

However, when I tried to find more information about it and to install
it, I ran into several problems. One is that some of Google's first
hits for "zodb" are pretty outdated; for example, I get [1] as hit
number 2, and it lists ZODB 3.2 as the latest release (at te list
lower on the page, it even shows 1.0 as the only release). It links to
another wiki page, [2], that points to what seem like more recent
pages at PyPI and LaunchPad, but this page altogether provides
preciously little information (the Documentation link points to a page
that seems to mostly have papers and presentation from 2000-2002).

On the internet, there is some talk about the different storage
providers, but it seems mostly very old. FileStorage seems to be the
only "serious" Storage provider delivered with ZODB. Are there any
other general-purpose Storage providers actively being used in the
wild? How does their performance compare? FileStorage apparently needs
to keep some index in memory; when does this start to be a problem?
What's new in ZODB4? There is some talk about blobs, are they
described somewhere?

Thanks for any information you might give me,

Manuzhai

[1] http://www.zope.org/Products/StandaloneZODB
[2] http://wiki.zope.org/ZODB/FrontPage