[ZODB-Dev] Spurious test failures

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Jan 15 10:06:31 EST 2008

Yes, spurious errors are, sadly, not uncommon with the ZEO tests.  I
think we get a lot fewer now than we used to.  Because the ZEO tests
actually start servers, they have lots of non-determinism. Further,
when there are failures, they are excruciating to debug. This is why
I'm working on a new ZEO implementation that will allow testing
without creating separate server processes.

Jim

On Jan 15, 2008, at 7:50 AM, Christian Theune wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thomas and I fixed a ClientCache bug earlier and when running tests
> (with --all as supposed)  we noticed two different tests failing.
> One of them was checkConcurrentUpdates2Storages (ZEO /
> FileStorageConnectionTests) the other we can't remember because we
> lost it in our terminals buffer.
>
> Unfortunately we could not reproduce either test to fail again and
> we could not determine any relevance of our changes by looking at
> the failed code.
>
> Does anybody else experience spurious errors currently?
>
> Christian
>
> --
> gocept gmbh & co. kg - forsterstrasse 29 - 06112 halle (saale) -
> germany
> www.gocept.com - ct at gocept.com - phone +49 345 122 9889 7 -
> fax +49 345 122 9889 1 - zope and plone consulting and development

Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation