[ZODB-Dev] PGStorage

Marius Gedminas mgedmin at b4net.lt
Tue Jan 22 20:44:38 EST 2008

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 05:43:42PM -0200, Flavio Coelho wrote:
> Actually what I am trying to run away from is the "packing monster" ;-)
>
> I want to be able to use an OO database without the inconvenience of having
> it growing out of control and then having to spend hours packing the
> database every once in a while. (I do a lot of writes in my DBs). Do this
> Holy grail of databases exist? :-)

I've learned to love this aspect of FileStorage.  Sure, the Data.fs is
measured in gigabytes, but when the users run to you crying "help! help!
why is this bit of data not what I expected it to be?" you can dig into
object history from a debugzope console and figure what changed it and
when.  Or restore deleted data, for that matter.

Marius Gedminas
--
MSDOS didn't get as bad as it is overnight -- it took over ten years
of careful development.
                -- dmeggins at aix1.uottawa.ca