[ZODB-Dev] PGStorage

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Wed Jan 23 12:17:18 EST 2008

--On 22. Januar 2008 21:17:45 -0500 Stephan Richter
<srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu> wrote:

> On Tuesday 22 January 2008, Dieter Maurer wrote:
>> "OracleStorage" was abandoned because it was almost an order
>> or magnitude slower than "FileStorage".
>
> Actually, Lovely Systems uses PGStorage because it is faster for them.

It would be interesting where PGS is faster than filestorage. Ok, I just
tried made a simple benchmark for testing write performance. I created a
Plone site and then created a copy using copy/paste within the ZMI.
(AMD Dualcore 2.6 GHz, Postgres 7.4.7 running on dedicated DB server):

Copy&Paste using Filestorage: 3-4 seconds
Copy&Paste using PGStorage: 30-40 seconds

I doubt that one could optimize the write performance using PGStorage
significantly. DCOracleStorage had a similar bad performance compared to
Filestorage (10 times slower as far as I can remember).

Andreas