[ZODB-Dev] PGStorage

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Wed Jan 23 14:42:48 EST 2008

--On 23. Januar 2008 13:32:29 -0600 Alan Runyan <runyaga at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Likely but I don#t know how to setup my instance in order to make the
>> copied instance making use of mounted catalog.
>
> What about creating a Plone site with a FileStorage.
> Then mount a subfolder into PGStorage say
> /Plone/some_folder
>
> then you could see create af older /Plone/new_folder and dump buncha
> content and paste it into /Plone/foo_folder and paste it into
> /Plone/some_folder and see the difference?
>
>> If there is a benefit..what would be arguments for running a mixed setup?
>
> My understanding is that each object in a catalog (Plone has 3 cataogs)
> has numerous other objects associated with it.  Something like:
>
> each record in a catalog may have an object for each index/metadata
> attribute you are capturing.  and possibly a few others.  Each catalog
> entries contain ts of object per object being indexed.    That is my
> understanding.

That would be an artificial test. You basically want to keep your data in
one storage type - in this case either Filestorage or PGStorage. Why no
mix?
For an application like Plone the catalog is as important as the data. You
don#t want to lose data during production. Reindexing can be very expensive
and possibly causes a longer down time. On the other hand you don't want
run two different storage types at the same time - one point of failure
more. Copy and paste of a whole is likely not the common usecase but burst
writes as in this particular case appear to be very slow with PGStorage.

Andreas