[ZODB-Dev] Speedy RelStorage/PostgreSQL

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Wed Jan 30 03:38:17 EST 2008

Hi guys,

I just committed some performance enhancements to RelStorage, then I
performed two simple speed comparisons with FileStorage using a
stopwatch.  I was surprised at the results.

Test #1: I measured the time to create a new database from scratch and
start handling requests.  I did this using a fresh instance of Zope
2.10.5 with Plone 3.0.5.  The duration is from the time I started Zope
to the time Zope said "Ready to handle requests".

   Test #1 on FileStorage: 24.9 seconds
   Test #1 on RelStorage/PostgreSQL: 23.1 seconds

Test #2: I measured the time to create a Plone site in a new database.
The duration is from the time I clicked "Add Plone Site" to the time the
Zope management interface reappeared.

   Test #2 on FileStorage: 11.8 seconds
   Test #2 on RelStorage/PostgreSQL: 9.1 seconds

I did this on a Linux 64 bit dual core system with PostgreSQL 8.2.6
running locally.

Kudos to the PostgreSQL team for building such a nice database. :-)
Oracle performance is up as well, I believe.  Should I make a MySQL 5+
adapter?  It could be fun.

Instructions for checking out RelStorage are in the Wiki.

   http://wiki.zope.org/ZODB/RelStorage

Shane