[ZODB-Dev] Speedy RelStorage/PostgreSQL

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 04:15:10 EST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 10:06 AM, Andreas Jung <lists at zopyx.com> wrote:

> --On 30. Januar 2008 01:38:17 -0700 Shane Hathaway <shane at hathawaymix.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I just committed some performance enhancements to RelStorage, then I
> > performed two simple speed comparisons with FileStorage using a
> > stopwatch.  I was surprised at the results.
> >

> > Test #2: I measured the time to create a Plone site in a new database.
> > The duration is from the time I clicked "Add Plone Site" to the time the
> > Zope management interface reappeared.
> >
> >    Test #2 on FileStorage: 11.8 seconds
> >    Test #2 on RelStorage/PostgreSQL: 9.1 seconds
> >
> > I did this on a Linux 64 bit dual core system with PostgreSQL 8.2.6
> > running locally.
>
> You're system is appearently very slow. Tested the same myself on an
> Opteron system (2.6 GHz) against a remote Postgres 8.1 DB...takes
> roughly 5-6 seconds and is basically as fast a FileStorage...great!

In my understanding, the Relstorage version is faster than the FileStorage
when the database has a lot of data.

What would be interesting imho is to evaluate when switching from
FileStorage to RelStorage
is interesting in terms of speed up (packing, zope usage, ..), so I would
know for which customer I would switch to postgres for instance.

Another point is about windows: I would love to see the same benchmarks on
such OS.

++
Tarek

Tarek Ziadé | Association AfPy | www.afpy.org