[ZODB-Dev] large database files

Benji York benji at zope.com
Wed Jul 23 08:02:18 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 2:01 AM, Sean Allen <sean at monkeysnatchbanana.com> wrote:
> i'm starting to do some serious playing around with zodb.
>
> step 1, move about 10% of our data over to get an idea about speed of
> searching 1.5 million entries etc.
> standard file storage... the csv file i dumped all the info to is about 190
> megs, the resulting file
> storage file is 750 megs ( 1.8 gigs before packing ). Does this mean, that I
> should expect the entire database

(After reading your other message about indexing); if you aren't doing
any indexing yet, then you should expect a larger database once the
indexes are added.

Some advocate keeping indexes in a separate database, especially if they
are a significant fraction of the total database size.  That way you can
have different packing schedules, backup plans, storage devices, etc.
--
Benji York
Senior Software Engineer