[ZODB-Dev] Runaway cache size

AFoglia at princeton.com AFoglia at princeton.com
Wed Jul 30 14:21:36 EDT 2008

        I have a database consisting mainly of an IOBTree of ~700,000
items (each persistent mappings), and an zc.catalog indexing them by one
of the mapping's fields (a date).  I am opening the FileStorage in
read_only mode.  For each day in the index, I get the day's mappings and
read the contents of another field.  As I go through each day, the memory
usage explodes (over 32 GB).  Is there a way to configure the cache to
automatically keep itself under the value of the cache size parameter?

        To avoid this problem in most cases, I wrap the IOBTree in another
object which does nothing more than call db.cacheMinimize after every
10000 items are iterated over.  But for random access, that's not an
option.

        From reading the archives, it sounds like cache cleaning does not
happen while running a transaction.  Is that my problem?  I'm in read-only
mode, so I can't perform a transaction anyway, but could the ZODB think I
want to?  Or is my problem something else?

        Maybe if someone can point me to a description of how the caching
works.

--
Anthony Foglia
Princeton Consultants