[ZODB-Dev] Re: Ruby/Smalltalk OODB

Sean Allen sean at monkeysnatchbanana.com
Tue Jun 3 09:28:16 EDT 2008

On Jun 2, 2008, at 9:14 AM, Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Christian Theune wrote:
>> this might be interesting to ZODB users and developers:
>> http://rss.slashdot.org/~r/Slashdot/slashdot/~3/302177093/article.pl
>
> What I find interesting is that Python has had such a thing for
> about a decade (the ZODB), and a mostly vaporware announcement in
> the Ruby world makes such a splash.

i dont think you can compare ZODB to gemstone's products. i've looked
at both over the last few months with a decent level of depth and the
gemstone from a programmer's standpoint is infintately easier to use.
no special classes, no nothing really. just put anything persistent in
a global dictionary and blam its done.
pull it back out and there it is again, object pointers fully intact.
store in 2 different directories, modify in one, blam! modified in the
other.

ZODB is great but it isnt gemstone's product.