[ZODB-Dev] Re: Zeo Server as a single point of failure

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Wed Mar 12 14:05:51 EDT 2008

David Pratt wrote:
> Hi Alan. I'm keeping the thread on the list since you raised the issue
> here. There are several repositories of zope related code that exist
> outside of svn.zope.org. I have made the decision to host
> DirectoryStorage at sourceforge on the basis that I have committed to
> maintaining and contributing to the project.
>
> I volunteered to maintain the project since I saw it falling into
> disrepair following two years without a single commit to the code base.
> I have become the maintainer on the basis of an agreement with Tobi back
> in January. This agreement permits me to relicense the code under my
> choice of a ZPL or MIT license.
>
> I cannot work with sources in zope repository since it would require a
> contributor agreement with Zope Corp. I am unable to enter into this
> agreement for the forseeable future. The zif collective
> (zif.sourceforge.net) is a way that I may contribute back to the zope
> community without the requirement of the agreement.

You don't identify the problem(s) which prevent you from entering into
that agreement:  we might be able to clarify or help resolve them if you
did so.

> Anyone interested in DirectoryStorage is encouraged to participate in
> its development since it is an open project that will be getting a more
> liberal license. There will be something more to build upon once the egg
> repackaging is released. It will be released under zif namespaced package.
>
> Shane and I have a relationship since I was also a project admin for
> PGStorage when it was located on sourceforge. There is nothing that
> would prohibit our communication or collaboration on any future
> development of DirectoryStorage. HTH.

What does Shane have to do with DirectoryStorage?  That product was
originated by Toby Dickinson, based on a prototype by Petru Paler, with
contributions from several other folks, per:

  http://dirstorage.sourceforge.net/

and

http://dirstorage.cvs.sourceforge.net/dirstorage/DirectoryStorage/doc/HISTORY.txt?revision=1.2

Relicensing it will require consent from Toby and the other copyright
holders:  I'm assuming that the arrangment you discuss above fits the
bill there.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com