[ZODB-Dev] Re: so your coming from the rdbms world tutorial?

Sean Allen sean at ardishealth.com
Mon Mar 24 10:28:53 EDT 2008

On Mar 24, 2008, at 3:40 AM, Roché Compaan wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-03-23 at 17:25 -0400, Sean Allen wrote:
>> I have not as it seemed rather Zope specific.
>> Are there particular parts I could zero in on as being particularly
>> relevant?
>
> I don't know enough about your application to say. If it is a web
> application then quite a lot is relevant especially the form and
> schema
> stuff. In general though I would not want to build an application
> without a component architecture and that pretty much means I'll use
> Zope.
>
>> I have read the zodb/zeo guide as well as several other
>> things my googling turned up plus some misc other documents
>> from zope.org that seemed applicable.
>
> I can see that you are trying hard to find answers so if you don't
> please continue sending your questions to the list.
>
>> The big problem I have is that all the zodb stuff i have found is
>> either very trivial or tied up zope. Zope by this point in time,
>> is a highly advanced and complicated system from the outside.
>> Having to slog through zope specific stuff trying to pick out
>> zodb details is frustrating.
>
> I agree that having a basic ZODB example that doesn't require Zope
> will
> help. So let me know if there are still gaps in your understanding and
> if you still need help with the indexing and searching of objects.

I think I have enough know to start playing with, the searching and
indexing
wouldnt come for a while anyway. I think what I am going to do right now
is spend some time mocking up the basic chain of objects for part of
the application, moving all the data over from the rdbms for those parts
and start working out our most complicated queries to see if there
are going to be serious roadblocks.

Thanks for your help so far, I'm sure I shall return at some point.