[ZODB-Dev] Re: Relstorage

Anton Stonor anton at headnet.dk
Fri May 2 08:50:15 EDT 2008

Hi there,

Ben Mason wrote:
> We've come across the following problem: When trying to revert to an old
> version of a page, we get a unicode error:

>   Module Products.CMFEditions.ZVCStorageTool, line 505, in _encodeMetadata
> UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0x80 in position 0:
> ordinal not in range(128)
>
> All that has been done here is... Click Edit on the front page of a clean
> Plone site, click Save. Go to the History tab and click on 'Revert to this
> revision'
>
> This doesn't happen if we're using the traditional Data.fs way of storing
> data.
>
> Anyone know what is going on?

I just had a look at this and am capable of reproducing it (on Plone
3.1.1) -- but also with filestorage! So it doesn't really look like a
RelStorage issue to me.

Are you sure you are using the same Plone and CMFEditions versions when
you are comparing the storages?

The reason for this error is that
Products.CMFEditions.ZVCStorageTool,_encodeMetadata expects "comment" to
be a string, but with the newest Plone it gets an unicode object.

Probably due to changes in CMFEdtions skinscript "revertversion.py".

/Anton