[ZODB-Dev] RFC: External Garbage Collection

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Nov 7 08:55:56 EST 2008

On Nov 6, 2008, at 7:24 PM, Shane Hathaway wrote:

> Jim Fulton wrote:
>> I've posted a new proposal:
>>
>>   http://wiki.zope.org/ZODB/ExternalGC
>>
>> That addresses multi-database garbage collection and can also be
>> useful in other situations.
>>
>> Comments are welcome.  Absent objections, I may start working on this
>> fairly soon.
>
> I see where you're going with this.  The "Sample (naive)"
> implementation
> would be very expensive with large databases; do you have ideas on how
> it might be done more efficiently?

Sure.  First, you don't need a good set.  You can just remove good
oids from the starting set, which becomes the bad set. I'd store the
oids on disk as a oid->flag mapping, or maybe even as a set.  An
advantage of making this external is that we can innovate on the
external gc independent of the zodb release, although, eventually,
we'd include a built-in gc tool.

Another bonus is that, in the presence of replication, the analysis
phase can be performed against a secondary storage, keeping load off
the primary until the final deletion step.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation