[ZODB-Dev] Broken instances after refactoring in ZODB

Hanno Schlichting hannosch at hannosch.eu
Sat Oct 4 19:13:06 EDT 2008

Leonardo Santagada wrote:
> On Oct 4, 2008, at 7:35 PM, Hanno Schlichting wrote:
>>
>> You can have a look at http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0307.
>>
>> I'd suggest you try this out on some small typical data set and just
>> look at the generated pickles.
>
> In zope catalogs the objects are actually very small, maybe it was
> designed for that... but if even they don't use it, it is probably not
> that important.

How you use your catalogs is up to you. In the case of my main project
(Plone) even the catalog objects will usually be 2k or or each. If all
you can save is to reduce the string denoting the class from 30 bytes to
two, the gain isn't much.

If your application only uses a very small number of classes and those
massively (like lots of BTrees) you might see a real gain from this. But
I think this is an application specific decision and optimization to do.

> Thanks for the clarifications though.

You are welomce :)
Hanno