[ZODB-Dev] Backing up Data.fs and blob directory

Laurence Rowe l at lrowe.co.uk
Wed Sep 3 11:06:36 EDT 2008

Backing up a ZODB has always been fairly easy in the past, but with the
introduction of blobs things have got a little more complex.

How should I create a consistent backup of my Data.fs and blob directory?

My inital guess would be to take a copy of the Data.fs, then take a copy of
the blob directory to ensure I have all blobs referenced in the Data.fs.
Would I be able to restore from such a backup safely? (it may contain blobs
from transactions that were newer than the backed up Data.fs).

This should be safe because committed blobs are immutable and any dangling
blobfiles would not interfere with the creation of blobs from new
transactions in the restored zodb, as transaction ids would not overlap.

I would be greatful if anyone could point out holes in my reasoning or has
experience of this.

Laurence