[ZODB-Dev] Using Falcon as a future storage

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Fri Sep 5 02:28:54 EDT 2008

--On 5. September 2008 03:02:28 -0300 Leonardo Santagada
<santagada at gmail.com> wrote:

> Do someone knows if it would be possible to use Falcon outside mysql
> like BSDDB was used? If it can and has a compatible license could this
> be the base for a storage engine for zodb, and anyone has a guess if
> this would be interesting?

Diversity is good - supported diversity is better.

What we need in the Zope is a supported and rocket-solid backends. We have
this with FileStorage and ZEO. Relstorage is likely to become a good
alternative as soon as it becomes mature . DirectoryStorage is around for a
while (although not widely used). So if you come up with a new storage
backend: what problems would it solve compared to the existing one.
Implementing a backend is obviously is a complex thing (when you want to
get it right) -> see Relstorage. The ZODB backend storage is likely to be
cleaned-up (from what I've head) in order to make it more easy to plug in
in a custom backend.

-aj