[ZODB-Dev] Repozo tests -- not

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Dec 2 17:44:44 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Godefroid Chapelle <gotcha at bubblenet.be> wrote:

>>> I thought of this but decided to not go that way to test that repozo can
>>> actually run on a living database. Even if the code that was there still
>>> needs to be modified to achieve that goal.
>>
>> Computing the path to repozo to run as a script was a bit wonky:  I just
>> changed the 'main()' function to take optional arguments, which also
>> gave me more flexibility in how thigs run (e.g., turning off noisy output).
>
> I suspect I do not express myself correctly.
>
> I try to say that repozo should be tested against a database being
> mutated (the current test only exercise backups when the db is closed).

That would definitely be much better, but not needed to test Chris'
change I think.

In any case, you don't need to shell out to test repozo against a database
that is being modified. You could use threads, or you could write the database
records yourself to, for example, cause a repozo backup while there are partial
transaction records.  I would prefer not to shell out.

> As far as I can understand, THE reason for repozo is to backup without
> stopping the ZODB.

One of 2 reasons. The other is incremental backups.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton