[ZODB-Dev] Making ZODB / ZEO faster

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Fri Dec 4 15:28:12 EST 2009

Erik Dahl wrote:
> I haven't dove into the relstorage yet but have heard it will perform
> better.  Not sure I understand why though.  Isn't it just putting
> pickles into a single table with an index on the oid? (or oid / serial).

Yes.  In theory, ZEO should be about the same speed, but all the
measurements I've done suggest ZEO has excessively high internal
latency.  I suspect ZEO uses Python sockets inefficiently, or that the
GIL may be getting in the way.  I know FileStorage isn't the problem,
since bare FileStorage can read or write about 20,000 objects per second
on my laptop.

Jim is working on a newer version of ZEO, so maybe that will close the
performance gap.  For now, all the people who have told me they are
using RelStorage seem to be happy with the improved speed.

Shane