[ZODB-Dev] Making ZODB / ZEO faster

Erik Dahl edahl at zenoss.com
Mon Dec 7 11:08:29 EST 2009

Guys,

Thanks for all the great feedback.  Still processing it but here are
somethings we will try.

RelStorage - in our app context to see if there it helps / hurts. will
report back results.  Quick tests show some improvement.  We will also
look at tuning out current ZEO setup.  Last time I looked there was
only the invalidation queue.  I poked around a bit for tuning docs and
didn't see any.  Can someone point me to them?

zc.catalogqueue - we are adding fullish indexing to our objects (they
aren't text pages so not truly a "full" index).  hopefully moving
indexing out to a separate process will keep the impact of the new
index low and help with our current conflict issues.

Our slow loading object was a persistent with a regular list inside of
the main pickle.  Objects that the list pointed to were persistent
which I believe means that hey will load separately.  In general we
have tried to make our persistent objects reasonably large to lower
the amount of load round trips.  I haven't actually checked its size
yet but it will be interesting to see.

-EAD