[ZODB-Dev] undo (and storage interface) brokenness

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 19:30:20 EST 2009

Jim Fulton wrote:
> I'm looking at undo today because it is complicating ZEO transaction management.
>
> Undo is broken in a number of ways. Does anyone care?  Does anyone use undo?

Plone users tend to use Undo quite a lot. If you accidentally delete
something, say, it's pretty much your only way out save for a full
restore from backup (which would likely be at least a few hours out of
date).

> Undo can be fixed, but not in a way that preserves the existing API.
>
> I'm tempted to remove undo support, at least from ZEO.

Please, please don't. It'll upset a lot of people by removing an
important (if imperfect) safety mechanism. It'll also make stronger the
"ZODB is too opaque, I can't trust it" FUD.

I think we can work to make Zope (2?) use a "new" API for undo is
necessary. But *please* don't remove the feature.

> So, I repeat: is anyone actually using undo these days?

I'd say thousands of Plone users, yes.

Martin