[ZODB-Dev] ZODB alternate serialization format patch

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Thu Jan 15 03:21:40 EST 2009

Jim and ZODB Developers,

I have just created a patch for ZODB that makes the object serialization
format pluggable, meaning that it should now be possible to write Python
code that causes ZODB to store in formats other than Python pickles.

I have created two versions of the patch, one for ZODB 3.8 and one for
the ZODB trunk:

http://svn.zope.org/Sandbox/shane/serialization-format-ZODB-3-8.patch?view=markup
http://svn.zope.org/Sandbox/shane/serialization-format-ZODB-trunk.patch?view=markup

In addition to making the data format pluggable, the patch puts most of
ZODB's dependencies on the cPickle module in one place, so now if we
decide to improve our usage of the cPickle module, we can make that
change in one place rather than several.  Revision 92821, for example,
probably would have required a change to only one module.

Revision 92821: http://svn.zope.org/ZODB/trunk?rev=92821&view=rev

How would you feel about including this in ZODB 3.9?  Note that this is
completely distinct from the shane-poll-invalidations branch that
RelStorage needs, although the two patches are intended to be complementary.

Shane