[ZODB-Dev] Temporary files not closed

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Jun 25 05:26:23 EDT 2009

On Jun 25, 2009, at 4:46 AM, Izak Burger wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is a zope issue that I think is probably zodb related. I've been
> seeing this behaviour for a couple of years now. When I inspect
> /proc/PID/fd (on a linux machine, this lists the open file descriptors
> held by the process with process id PID), I see many descriptors that
> point to open files, eg:
>
> $ ls -go /proc/15431/fd | grep deleted
> lrwx------ 1 64 2009-06-25 10:09 13 -> /var/tmp/tmptBEWCx.tbuf
> (deleted)
> lrwx------ 1 64 2009-06-25 10:09 14 -> /var/tmp/tmpKSuzMN (deleted)
> lrwx------ 1 64 2009-06-25 10:09 6 -> /var/tmp/tmp2HUAnn.tbuf
> (deleted)
> lrwx------ 1 64 2009-06-25 10:09 7 -> /var/tmp/tmpex5QmJ (deleted)
>
> This gets worse over time until we run out of diskspace, with a trace
> back like this (somewhat sanitised to protect the guilty):
>
> ".../parts/zope2/lib/python/transaction/_manager.py",line 110, in
> savepoint return self.get().savepoint(optimistic) File
> ".../parts/zope2/lib/python/transaction/_transaction.py", line 312, in
> savepoint self._saveAndRaiseCommitishError() # reraises!
> ".../parts/zope2/lib/python/transaction/_transaction.py", line 422, in
> _saveAndRaiseCommitishError t, v, tb =
> self._saveAndGetCommitishError() File
> ".../parts/zope2/lib/python/transaction/_transaction.py", line 309, in
> savepoint savepoint = Savepoint(self, optimistic, *self._resources)
> File
> ".../parts/zope2/lib/python/transaction/_transaction.py", line 737, in
> __init__ savepoint = savepoint()
> ".../parts/zope2/lib/python/ZODB/Connection.py", line 1046, in
> savepoint
> self._commit(None)
> ".../parts/zope2/lib/python/ZODB/Connection.py",line 555, in _commit
> self._store_objects(ObjectWriter(obj), transaction)
> ".../parts/zope2/lib/python/ZODB/Connection.py",line 583, in
> _store_objects s = self._storage.store(oid, serial, p, self._version,
> transaction)
> ".../parts/zope2/lib/python/ZODB/Connection.py", line 1180, in store
> self._file.write(data) IOError: [Errno 28] No space left on device
>
> Naturally a restart solves the problem immediately, but this is
> still a bug.
>
> Before I dive into the code and attempt to find the problem, I thought
> I'd post first, partly to report the problem, but at the same time to
> find out if anyone has seen this and if perhaps a fix is already
> available.

I haven't seen this and, looking at the code on the trunk, I see no
reason why many savepoint temporary storages or ZEO transaction
buffers would be kept open.  Savepoint temporary storages are closed
after use and a single transaction buffer if created per ZEO client.
It is kept optn for the life of the client.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation