[ZODB-Dev] ZEO and time.sleep

Laurence Rowe l at lrowe.co.uk
Wed Mar 18 20:09:17 EDT 2009

For Plone, the standard remedy to this problem is to separate out
portal_catalog into it's own storage (zeo has support for serving
multiple storages). You may then control the object cache size per
storage, setting the one for the portal_catalog storage large enough to
keep all it's objects in the cache. As navigation is driven from the
catalog this can significantly help performance and reduce the number of
zeo loads to only those objects required to traverse to the published
object.

Other things that might help:

   * Reduce the number of zserver-threads from the default 4, object
caches are per thread so this allows you to have fewer, larger caches.

   * Use FileSystemStorage for Archetypes, this can help if you serve
many files. Files are stored in 64k pdata chunks, serving a large file
can clear your cache. With newer versions of Plone you can use ZODB 3.8
and blobs.

   * Put Varnish or some other proxy cache in front and cache agressively.

   * Buy more memory, memory is cheap.

Hope that helps,

Laurence