[ZODB-Dev] ZODB 3.9.3 history call causing problems for storages that still accept version parameters

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Nov 2 05:04:38 EST 2009

Christian Theune wrote:
>> Would anyone object if I wrote a test and fixed this on the 3.9 branch
>> of ZODB? I'm not really sure what to do about the trunk...
>
> I think that's the best idea. It's not exactly part of the policy of
> supporting old protocols but if we want to support and encourage 3rd
> party storage implementations we should leverage this simple fix for
> better backwards compatibility.

Hmmm, I'm less sure now. The problematic code is here:

http://zope3.pov.lt/trac/browser/ZODB/branches/3.9/src/ZEO/StorageServer.py#L1379

It looks like ZEOStorage308Adapter is used when the protocol specified
is less than Z309, which it is in my case. But, the assumption here is
that the storage being served by StorageServer effectively matches the
Z309 API. zeoraid's RAIDStorage does not...

However, I can't see what `history` method is called if the protocol >=
Z309. Christian, I'm guessing you guys have used zeoraid with 3.9 from
some time now, does this issue not occur if everything is talking Z309?
If not, why not?

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk