[ZODB-Dev] ZEO and blobs: missing tmp file breaks transaction on retry

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 11:54:56 EST 2009

Hanno Schlichting wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Mikko Ohtamaa <mikko at redinnovation.com> wrote:
>>> Unfortunately the application having the issues is Plone 3.3. ZODB 3.9
>>> depends on Zope 2.12 so, right?
>> ZODB does depend on Zope anything. :)
>>
>> Plone 3.3 may use an earlier version of ZODB. but perhaps it is
>> possible to get it to work with a later one. I wouldn't know. :)
>
> Plone 3.x uses Zope 2.10 and ZODB 3.7. Upgrading it to ZODB 3.8.x is trivial.
>
> But the changes in ZODB 3.9 (essentially the removal of the version
> feature) require a bunch of non-trivial changes to Zope2. So only Zope
> 2.12 works with ZODB 3.9.
>
> Anyone using Plone 3.x who wants to use blobs is therefor stuck with
> ZODB 3.8.x. It's not supported by Plone and considered experimental on
> all layers :)

Meanwhile, several people have used it in production. I was a little
taken aback to discover that it is considered "somewhat experimental"
(and it seems, a bit broken) in ZODB 3.8 (as distinct from the Plone
integration package, plone.app.blob, which indeed has been experimental
up until now). I think a lot of other people would be too.

A lot of people would be very happy if this bug in ZODB 3.8 could be
fixed, since the option of upgrading is not there (since ZODB 3.9
introduces too-incompatible changes to work with Zope 2.10) for anyone
on a released, stable version of Plone.

Martin