[ZODB-Dev] [OT] NoSQL

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Fri Nov 13 14:53:41 EST 2009

On Friday 13 November 2009, Roché Compaan wrote:
> We had such an opportunity about 2 years ago and although the client
> never reached (and probably will never) reach the membership they
> dreamed about, they did pay us to develop a storage for members that
> could scale to more than a 100 million members. We implemented a data
> partitioning strategy at application level. If I had another shot at it,
> I would try and develop a distributed ZODB storage, because it would be
> a lot simpler compared to what we had to do at application level.

Note that Shane developed a sharding solution a year ago with me. It provides
container-level partitioning.

http://svn.zope.org/z3c.sharding/trunk

This in combination with the encryption work that we did for the ZODB makes
the ZODB actually be a lot more advanced than some of the new comers.

I am very intrigued now to setup an EC2 cluster and install a z3c.sharding
based solution demonstrating 100M users with some data. Mmmh...

Regards,
Stephan
--
Entrepreneur and Software Geek