[ZODB-Dev] [OT] NoSQL

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Sat Nov 14 16:23:29 EST 2009

Roché Compaan wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 13:33 -0700, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>> Stephan Richter wrote:
>>> http://svn.zope.org/z3c.sharding/trunk
>
> Great stuff! This approaches scaling a large data set at application
> level though. Don't you think a ZODB storage doing this for you would
> solve the problem more generally?

I think proper construction of horizontally scalable databases must be
done partly at application level, since a lot of the issues to be solved
are specific to the application.

> I think that the master index needs to be partitioned as well. In
> benchmarks I performed early last year (http://bit.ly/pSVmd), a BTree
> could only handle about 250 inserts / second when it approached 10
> million objects, so I'm guessing it will be almost unusable at a 100
> million.

Right.  The top level probably ought to be a dynamic hash, not a BTree.
  I intended z3c.sharding more as a proof of concept.

Shane