[ZODB-Dev] [OT] NoSQL

Roché Compaan roche at upfrontsystems.co.za
Sun Nov 15 03:58:31 EST 2009

On Sun, 2009-11-15 at 00:31 -0700, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Roché Compaan wrote:
> > On Sat, 2009-11-14 at 14:23 -0700, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> >> I think proper construction of horizontally scalable databases must be
> >> done partly at application level, since a lot of the issues to be solved
> >> are specific to the application.
> >
> > What are the issues you're talking about?
>
> Every database system has almost countless issues to balance, such as
> durability, consistency, performance, freshness, availability, etc.  The
> demands of horizontal scaling make the issues too complex to completely
> delegate to a database layer.

These concerns don't disappear when implementing a solution to big
databases at application level. In my experience it becomes even more
complex at application level and you have to do an inordinate amount of
configuration to manage partitions. With the z3c.sharding implementation
you would have to configure multiple containers.

I can't see why it wouldn't be possible to develop a ZODB storage
similar to hypertable
http://code.google.com/p/hypertable/wiki/ArchitecturalOverview

--
Roché Compaan